Thursday, February 21, 2013

Casa Bella-San Angelo, Texas





In the last few months I haven't eaten near as much Mexican food as I would like as I'm trying (rather unsuccessfully) to drop a few pounds in an effort to become more healthy.  The one place that I frequent quite a bit is Casa Bella. Because I am at Angelo State on Tuesdays and Thursdays it is very convenient.  AHHH but convenience isn't necessarily the only thing that draws me to this place.  I genuinely enjoy the food and service.  Lets face it this restaurant is new and it is growing.  What it lacks in atmosphere it makes up for in some of the best food and service San Angelo, Texas has to offer.  The gentlemen who own this place are slowly but surely adding the atmospheric touch but the food has been on point since day one.  I've had a number of different plates including Mia's Plate which consists of a small Ribeye topped with grilled onions, bell peppers, tomatoes and jalapenos along with rice and beans.  Rice is very aromatic and not dried out as many restaurants tend to do because of a long stay in the oven.  Refried beans are also very tasty and complete that particular plate out very well.  The appetizer chips come out to the table warm and with a very fruity red tomato salsa with a slight kick.  Nothing overwhelmingly burning about this salsa so to each his own.  They have daily lunch specials that are also very appealing.  Will's plate is one that comes to mind but I haven't gotten to try it again because I'm not there during the time it is served. Fajitas are another solid entree here and again very tasty and tender.  One of my favorite offerings of Casa Bella is the Caldo De Res.  This translates to Beef Soup in case you didn't know.  If I'm guessing the ingredients correctly of course you have some beef which seems to be chunks of tender roast along with cabbage, carrots, onions, cilantro, a little potato, and a small piece of corn on the cob with a little tomato sauce in the broth.  It is one of the best things you can have on a cold day and it is lovingly served with a side of your choice of corn or flour tortillas, some lime wedges, and some rice.  Although it needs no addition of anything to add to flavor I love to drop a little red salsa in for just a little more tomato and pepper flavor.  Cheese enchiladas are also very solid here as my wife has attested to.  A quote here from an old Cheech and Chong recording. Cheech on the phone with a prospective date asks the question: "OH you don't like Mexican food?" Apparently he gets a reply and then says,  "OOHHHHH ju don't like Mexicans!" Well I love me some MexiCANS and Casa Bella has quite a few of those because they can and do many things quite well.   Well if Mexican food isn't your thing then try the chicken strips.  My daughter told me they are some of the best she has had and she particularly liked the gravy.  Jared eats burgers everywhere and he was very satisfied.  Jonah is the bean connoisseur of our family and maybe even in San Angelo in his age bracket.  In speaking with one of the owners (as well as careful observance) it is very evident that the team concept prevails and is instilled in the staff here.  I mentioned to him that everyone is very attentive and it all boils down to the teaming concept.  Regardless of who you "belong" to as far as wait staff is concerned you will still be greeted, helped, and waited on by a slew of different people all trying to give you the best experience.  I have yet to be mistreated here in any way.  I asked the owner about their desserts and whether they were made in house because I had just consumed a delectable piece of Tres Leches cake and it was amazing.  Although this dessert was not made in house it is prepared in a local bakery and brought to the restaurant on a daily basis.  If you have a family and you are on a budget then obviously this place can meet your Mexican food craving and still keep your pocketbook intact.  There's not really anything on the menu that is very expensive which makes this place even better in my book.  If you are looking for a restaurant whose cuisine is just a little bit different than what's out there in San Angelo then stop by and see Will and the rest of the staff.  I'm sure that they can prepare you something that you will enjoy. 



Food: GREAT FOOD!

Atmosphere:          Atmosphere not quite there yet but they are working on it.

Prices: Prices for what you get here are most excellent.

Service:  From top to bottom service is some of the best ANYWHERE.

Overall: 1/2

For one of the newer places in town they are one of the shining examples of what hard work and determination can do.

Casa Bella On Facebook


No comments: