Thursday, June 21, 2007

Restaurant Review-The Wharf San Angelo, Texas

The Wharf has long been a quality restaurant serving Seafood and Steaks for well over 20 years. I was only 18 years old the first time I ate at The Wharf and it was where I took my wife on our first date. Tonight we decided to go and treat my mother-in -law to some good fresh seafood that doesn't have that generic chain restaurant spin on it. From fishing nets to cargo boxes as well as many live plants The Wharf is made for a good date and has very soft lighting. It's also a great place to take family for a dining experience that rivals many big city seafood places. Tonight we ordered some fried mushrooms and cheese for appetizers. Our waitress Candace (hope I'm spelling that right) brought extra ranch with the appetizers. Very thoughtful! Shrooms and sticks were fried perfectly with crispy crusts and melt in your mouth insides. These are really some of the best fried mushrooms you'll ever have and not in the least bit greasy. The boys split a burger, while my daughter, wife, and mother -in-law had fish. My little girl had fried catfish with fries along with a salad. Mom and my wife had grilled fish. One was Mahi Mahi and the other Halibut. Both were very tasty according to them. I couldn't resist having my favorite steak again. YES the RIBEYE. It was ordered medium and cooked medium and came with a loaded baked potato and a Caesar salad. The ribeye had some excellent seasoning and fresh cracked black pepper on it. Nice finishing touch. The bread is not the same bread they used to serve here. The NEW bread was actually very soft and very very tasty. Yeast rolls fresh from the oven to be exact. Great with a pat of butter and dipped in steak juices. To finish it all off we had one of their famous desserts. WE SHARED! I first discovered Turtle Pie at The Wharf on or around my 18th birthday. My cousin Anthony took me there and said, "Do you want a whole piece?" Of course I said yes and he challenged me to eat the whole thing which I did. It was one of the best discoveries as far as desserts are concerned that has ever occurred in my life. Whipped cream, over chocolate ice cream, pecans, caramel, and Oreo crust with some chocolate syrup really knocks your socks off. Our waitress was EXTRA attentive and very polite. Needless to say she received an excellent tip for her hard work. I don't recall ever having a bad meal at The Wharf. If you want fresh seafood and steaks with great desserts don't hesitate to spend some money and live a little. This is one place that you won't go wrong, even if you order a burger!

No comments: