Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bakersfield the last 48 hours

Time is going by quickly here in Bakersfield and I've really enjoyed it althought I'm missing my family terribly.

I took about a 15 minute walk up California Avenue from the hotel and had Mexican food at El Torito on Tuesday night. It's not Tex-Mex or what I'm used to but it was good in it's own way. I had the Combo Magnifico which consisted of a couple of different types of Enchiladas, a Carnitas Burrito, a shredded meat taco, and beans and rice. Everything was very tasty and did look like the pictures on the website. See that here http://www.el-torito.com/ . Prices here do reflect the amount of food you get which is quite substantial. I do have to say that I would come here again but I would try something else like fajitas. They weren't in the budget this time.


Yesterday, my boss, Sam was nice enough to take me to the Petroleum Club. It's a member's only club here and sit's atop a towering building here in Bakersfield. See here: http://www.thepetroleumclub.com/ I had the Oil Boys Favorite sandwich combo. It was a roast beef sandwich, french fries, lettuce, tomatoes, pickle spear, and au jus sauce. It was excellent to say the least. Hot roast beef dipped in the au jus. WOW. I'd eat here again but only if Sam takes me! LOL.


Last night I finally got to go eat at Famous Dave's. This restaurant has a lot of the cool stuff that commercial chains have. Atmosphere is great, prices are high compared to what I'm used to. I had the 2 meat Combo and there are plenty of choices there. I happened to have the brisket and sausage. Don't I always try those 2 things out? LOL. They were tasty but the old tried and true idea of meat standing on it's own doesn't seem to be the way they go about things here. Sauce was needed but the meat was extremely tender and the lack of a smoke ring caused me to think it a little less authentic than the claims they made. TEXAS BBQ is truly safe. There are 5 or six BBQ sauces on the table and the concept of this restaurant bringing regional faves together is great. Take a look at the website and see all the great pics and menu items. My meal was finished off with corn on the cob, pork and beans, potato salad and a pecan pie with vanilla bean ice cream and whipped topping. Over 23 dollars for it. I think I could have gotten exactly everything I had at Bubba's for around 15 and the smoke ring wouldn't have been lacking. I would eat here again. I do recommend it but be ready to fork over the cash. See www.famousdaves.com When I get home I'll tell you more about it!

See you soon.

No comments: